Top tips to Running faster
- Interval running. For 2 mins run or walk at a slow pace then run as fast as you can for 1 minute. Repeat this fir 30 to 40 minutes. The intervals can be changed longer or shorter, as your stamina dictates. Interval running should be done at least once a week.
- Hill running find a good steep hill. Run 100 to 200 metres up the hill as fast as you can then jog or walk slowly down. Repeat this 8 to 10 times. Again hill running should be completed once a week, but not much more as the impact can cause injury if you do this too often.
- Ensure you are well hydrated before the run
- Regular frequent running will over time improve your running but if you are increasing your running amount then stick to the 10% rule. Increase by only 10% each week. Running is a high impact sport and it is important not to put too much impact all at once on your bones, joints and muscles.
- Good pair of running shoes, will not only improve your running but can help to protect you from injury. Get your gait checked at a proper running shop. Runners world usually have a tread mill in their shops and you can get your gait checked there.
- Using your phone with fitness apps such as Runkeeper will help you to track your progress
- When we run we can sweat excessively which can the deplete out salt levels faster than normal. You can get energy drinks that provide these extra electrolytes but a cheaper way be to add a pinch of salt to orange squash
- Warm up is essential, ensuring you jog slowly or walk for the first 5 to 20 minutes. There are a number of other warm up exercises that can be performed prior to your run. Very Importantly ensure that you do stretching after your run mainly to protect you from injury.
- Run at least run long run a week.
Desktop version | Mobile version